Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Winds of Change

It is very windy today and wind brings change it seems. I think of the line the winds of change and it feels to me that the whole world is in the winds of change and I suppose that is not new but to me somehow it seems very poignant at this time.

We have come to learn about greed in a most horrible way as the banks fail and everyone is scrambling to make it right. It is odd that the congress of the USA refused to cap credit card companies interest charges at 18%. I am saddened by this for that this is a huge percentage as it is. It is not about the work required to manage these accounts. It is all about profit to the bank and its investors. Greed is a strong reality it seems and modesty, love, nurturing and sharing are now far down on the scale of things.

I went to a meeting of Couch Surfers. I am a member and offer a place in my house free to members who are people traveling on low budgets. It is an interesting way to meet people and so far very pleasant for they are thankful and I am too for they bring good energy into my house.

One young man in his final year at University studying Mathematics I believe got into a conversation with me about health and what we eat. He said he could care less about what he eats and just wants to live life in a pleasure mode. I said that did not seem very warm and friendly toward himself. He asked me if I had two weeks of water stored in my house and two weeks of food. I said no. He said if we get into a crunch a real crunch that no one has protected themselves from bad times. I couldn't disagree with him and realized that somehow I could get to my brother's farm where I could survive but most were doomed if power really went out for any length of time.

It was so sad to know that this smart young man felt overall that he had only today to live for and really caring for the body that allowed his mind to be so agile and alert was not even vaguely of consequence to him.

We have a body that our mind somehow is in charge of sort of. By that I mean we can decide what we will fuel this body with both with food and with thoughts and with activity. Sounds right. We actually have a unique bundle of energy that is ok at birth except for all the things we have inherited from others who have gone before us. But in the main we all have the same tools. So it is how do we develop the body and mind over our lives that is really central to keeping ourselves in one piece. We are sealed systems and our skin, lungs and digestive system is how our bodies interact with the outside world. Oh yes the senses play a part too.

The digestive system is incredibly strong and thoughtful too for if we add the wrong things into our stomachs for digestion it will deal with that. It will deal with everything we put in for it knows to translate and transfer things to where they can be used. So, good and bad it tries to cope with our own madness for sugar and other foods we know are not healthy. It stores some poisons in our fat and it reacts to other things by triggering the body to take on the state that the food demands from us. Much of this is unnoticed when we are young other than what brings pleasure and what brings pain. Not many of us are taught how to treat this entity called self. Why we take care of our dogs better, if we have dogs.

We are caretakers of a wonderful living entity. Would it not be a good idea to love this entity for we will die if it dies. Treat yourself with thought and kindness and see how wonderful life will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment